Just as some people learn better by seeing things done while others learn better by doing things themselves, there are some men and women who feel more engaged and able to learn in social environments where they can interact with others. These are social learners, and for years, companies assumed e-learning systems were not an ideal solution when it came to social learning-based training. Just the words “social learning” seemed to imply the need for people to be in the same place, at the same time.
But it turns out that assumption was all wrong: In fact, workplace e-learning is an ideal solution for social learners. Why? Because an LMS allows you to integrate so many social platforms seamlessly, right in the LMS. Here's how:
- Integrates seamlessly with live chat: Providing time for chatting with trainers, managers and other people involved in the training process can help ensure employees have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and contribute ideas. It also means moderators can provide one-on-one confidential feedback based on testing results or other assessments. Chatting can put a real-time “face” on an e-learning training program to reinforce the team concept and help build morale so employees stay on task and committed to their goals.
- Supports use of a dedicated forum: Creating an employee message board that's just for course discussions and feedback provides a platform where learners can share their experiences and learn from others. Dedicated message boards can be a great community-building tool when managed and moderated proactively. In addition to asking questions and discussing important aspects of the training experience, a forum also helps LMS moderators spot areas where the system may need improvement, and it can also help support the monitoring and feedback arms of the LMS by identifying which employees may need additional instruction. Plus, by discussing questions and concerns in a forum, LMS moderators can make sure all employees are “on the same page” when it comes to goals and objectives.
- It's video-friendly: Video can be a very effective way to demonstrate complex techniques, especially when many employees need to be trained in a procedure that requires every employee to use the same techniques for consistency and precision. Plus, incorporating videos supports blended learning, which helps engage learners in multiple ways so lessons “stick” better.
- Provides easy access to online resources: Just the fact that an LMS resides on a computer makes it easier to link to outside sources like industry experts, news reports, white papers, peer-reviewed journals and more for a more comprehensive, more well-rounded learning experience.
- Integrates easily with gamification: By adding gamification to your LMS, you create a platform for friendly competition and cooperation. For instance, teams could compete in an online “scavenger hunt” to find specific resources like videos, articles, blogs or other online materials identified by the moderator or LMS system.
The ability to use e-learning to engage social learners in a workplace environment underscores the flexibility of a robust e-learning system like Wise Businessware's LMS. When you choose an LMS solution that's truly flexible and customizable, you increase your company's ability to engage more learners on deeper levels for a better overall learning experience. If you're interested in learning more about Wise Businessware and how it can be customized to meet the needs of all types of learners, give us a call at 832-730-1212 or use our online contact form and we'll get in touch with you.